Code 10 Device manager/ Keyboard not working, mouse not working /ps2
Ok, so this has been one of the best fixes i have ever gotten my hands on. When removing infections, or sometimes when updating the ps/2 stuff you run into an issue with a code 10 in device manager for the keyboard and mouse. This pretty much means you have no access to your mouse or keyboard. Bummer. This can happen on both laptops and desktops. Most people recommend an operating system install, try this first.
*The fix* automatic
1. Save this into notepad and call it anything.bat and then run it, should be good to go.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
; @ECHO OFF
; REGEDIT.EXE /S “%~f0”
*The fix* Manual
1. Plug in a usb keyboard and mouse. (They almost always load up just fine)
2. Load into windows. (doesnt matter if its safe mode, or just regular boot)
3. Make sure you load into the administrator account. Go to the start menu (in vista and windows 7 just start typing regedit) (for xp, go to the start menu and click run, then type regedit). Once you load up regedit find these keys and edit them.
Look for a value titled UpperFilters, its type is REG_MULTI_SZ. If it doesn’t exist, create it. Edit the value UpperFilters to read kbdclass. If there are any other line items in UpperFilters, delete them.
Look for a value titled UpperFilters, its type is REG_MULTI_SZ. If it doesn’t exist, create it. Edit the value UpperFilters to read mouclass. If there are any other line items in UpperFilters, delete them.
6. Reboot the machine and you should now have a working keyboard and mouse.
*If you notice HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ has registry keys that all relate to the hardware. Key that in mind…..
**Adding to the post yet again. If you cant get the keyboard to work and you have tried plugging another keyboard in with no luck, use the on screen keyboard (vista and 7) .
1. If you need to put in a password you should see a small blue icon in the left corner. Click it. It will bring up another menu. Use the on screen keyboard and apply the above fix.
2. If you dont have a password and it logs right in, go to the start menu, then all programs, accessories, ease of use. The on screen keyboard is in there. Use it and apply the fix listed above.